Convergence Church is built upon a vision and mission to impact our communities with the Gospel through Spirit-filled discipleship and fellowship. In order to protect the future of this vision and promote unity around it, we feel it is necessary to produce a concise Statement of Faith outlining the essentials and distinctives of Convergence Church.
The essentials are the “non-negotiables” on which we stand as Christians, making them crucial to the vision of the church. The distinctives are important doctrines which help form and shape the identity of Convergence Church. Therefore, a lack of unity in these doctrines is detrimental to carrying out our mission. We do ask that those who covenant with us would not be divisive about these things, but rather approach them in a spirit of unity, love, and submission.
Please read this document carefully and prayerfully. More than just a checklist of beliefs, this document attempts to capture our vision, and if you are to covenant with us, we want you to share the vision as well. If you have any differences or issues with any part of the stated beliefs below, we would be glad to discuss these things with you; just go to our Contact page and let us know!
1. God – There is one perfect, eternal God who created everything. He exists as three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Genesis 1:1; Deut. 6:4; John 8:58; John 1:1; Matt. 3:16-17)
2. Man – God created mankind in His image for His glory. At creation, man and woman lived in a perfect relationship with God. However, they rejected God by disobeying Him. As a result, their sin earned eternal death and separation from God for themselves and all mankind. (Gen. 2-3)
3. Salvation – In God’s great love, His plan for reconciling sinful man to Himself was Jesus Christ. Jesus, who was fully God and fully man, accomplished our salvation through His perfect life, death, and resurrection. Through faith alone in Jesus alone, we are saved and have our relationship restored back to God. Our faith in Christ leads us to a life of repentance, turning away from sin to follow Jesus instead. (Gen. 3:15; Heb. 10:10; Eph. 2:8-10; 2 Pet. 3:9; Matt. 16:24)
4. Church – Once a person has been saved they are now a member of the church, God’s family. The church exists to bring Glory to God by making disciples and building His Kingdom. God’s mission is best accomplished when Christians are working together in unity through the local church, instead of in isolation. Once this mission is fulfilled, Jesus will return for His Church. (Rom. 8:15; 1 Cor. 12:13-20; Matt. 28:18-20; Heb. 10:24-25; Matt 24:14)
5. Scripture – All Scripture was given by inspiration of God through man and is without error. It is our ultimate authority, under which we all submit, and with which we edify one another. (2 Tim. 3:16; 2 Pet. 1:21)
Convergence Church Distinctives
1. God – God the Father adopts us into His family. God the Son came not to be served but to serve. As adopted sons of God we are now called to serve as Jesus served, laying down our lives to serve Him as He has served us. We believe the Holy Spirit is active and working to empower God’s people. No single spiritual gift is evidence of salvation but is given by God for the edification of the Church and the furtherance of the Gospel.
2. Man – Because Man is born in sin, he is unable to do anything to save himself. Thus, it is a complete work of God to save man, and man can take no credit for his salvation.
3. Salvation – In God’s great mercy and love, He freely chooses whom He will save and seals their salvation for all eternity.
4. Church –
- Our priority at Convergence Church is fulfilling the Great Commission, to make disciples and build His Kingdom. We will accomplish this by obeying the Great Commandments, to love God and love our neighbors.
- Each member of the church has been uniquely gifted by God for the mission. Every person at Convergence Church is encouraged to give sacrificially of our time, talents and treasure to help advance the Gospel in every area of influence. We will seek to faithfully steward all provisions the Lord supplies, and everything we do, including our preferences, will be in submission to His Mission and to the “one-anothers” of Scripture.
- The church is not a building, rather it is a community of God’s people equipping one another to live on mission in everyday life. (Work, School, Home, etc.) To faithfully serve this model, the Convergence church body is highly encouraged to participate in a weekly Sunday gathering of all the saints, a bi-weekly discipleship group meeting, and weekly Missional Community meeting in which members invite their communities into life in Christ.
- Scripture instructs our regular meetings to include expository preaching and teaching of God’s Word, administering the Lord’s Supper, Baptism by immersion, musical worship (not limited by style or instrumentation) as well as church discipline.
- Every member of the local body is responsible to address sin according to the Scriptures, in love and submission to one another, and under the guidance of the elders.
- Jesus Christ is the head of the church, and has given authority of leadership to a plurality of elders/pastors, who are affirmed by and accountable to the congregation. In addition, each member of Convergence church is competent for ministry and called to minister to one another through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Men and women are created equally and are shared recipients in the empowerment of the Spirit for ministry. The husband sacrificially leads his family in the home, and elders sacrificially lead the body in the church. The office of elder/pastor is restricted to men.